[FFmpeg-devel] Question for dev's: Does ffplay disable DPMS timeouts? "xset q" looks good, but timeouts never trigger

Ted Pavlic ted at tedpavlic.com
Tue Sep 6 20:06:22 CEST 2011

FFMpeg devs --

	I'm sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but this seems to be
something that most users are clueless about, and it appears like it
might be linked to the FFMpeg library and not particular applications.

	I've noticed that when ffplay (and mplayer, actually) is running, my
monitors never turn off even though "xset q" shows that DPMS is enabled
and timeouts are set correctly.

	I did notice that I can "xset force dpms off" and the monitors stay off
despite mplayer being up and running (forcing suspend or standby doesn't
work; they pop back on). However, this trick doesn't work with ffplay.

	If this behavior is by design, is there any way to disable it?
Distributed computing screen savers like electricsheep use utilities
like ffplay and mplayer to display AVI's as they are computed. Because
they are screen savers, it would be nice if monitors would flip off on
schedule.

	Thanks --
	Ted

--