[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: change cmdutils.c so the copyright year does not need changing every year

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 27 22:46:33 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:56:19PM +0100, JULIAN GARDNER wrote:
> Trivial patch, was looking into why when i build a new ffmpeg the "build time" did not change, and found this so thought i would make a simple patch, should work until 31-12-9999

I don't think this is a good idea.
First, it would give bogus results if the build machine has a broken
date.
Second, it's just plain wrong. It is not okay for it to increase
automatically if for example no changes happened at all in that year.
In particular I wouldn't want to promise that this could not
(theoretically at least) create legal trouble.