[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: change cmdutils.c so the copyright year does not need changing every year

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 00:29:03 CEST 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-09-27 22:13:03 +0100, JULIAN GARDNER encoded:

Suppose that in 2099 I need to use the FFmpeg tools, and I discovered
that the bloody devs changed license in 2012, which is incompatible
with my project.

So I want to use FFmpeg from 2011, so I got the old stinky code and
happily compile it. Now my compiled code shows the correct copyright
of 2011, although I compiled it in 2099.

> And the reason behind this is that unless you modify this file or do
> a clean build the build message has the wrong date and time, which
> is the reason i started looking into this, as i had a build on a
> machine whch had a build time which differed from my build machines
> build time.

> So i do think this is better then someone having to remember to go
> into this file the 1st time a change is made and change it to the
> correct year.

No, we like to celebrate the new year by updating this single int :-).
The change to the int is enough for updating the licence year.

> And a better idea would be that the makefile always compiles a small
> file so that every change causes the build time to be updated, which
> is what i have in my work projects, something called revision.c
> which has the following
>
> const char *builtOn = __TIME__ " on " __DATE__;
> const char *revisionNumber = "0.000000";
>
> The revision is updated again by the build script so ANY
> modification causes a new revision number, so we can track each
> modification and release

$ ffmpeg -loglevel verbose -version
ffmpeg version N-33009-g5b1562a, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Sep 27 2011 20:07:50 with gcc 4.4.5
--
FFmpeg = Fierce Foolish Multipurpose Patchable Ephemeral Gadget