[FFmpeg-devel] Testing hardware H264 encoder (probably OT)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Apr 11 14:50:26 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:43:17PM +0200, Andrea Marson - DAVE Simply Embedded wrote:
> >If you want to get encoder X to do Y best would be to reads encoders
> >X manual or if its something you bought, licensed or so. There may
> >be a a support hotline.
> >Not sure why you think we would know how to configure some random
> >hardware encoder, is there some relation to ffmpeg ? is that hardware
> >decoder using ffmpeg ?
>
> Michael,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
> Your remarks are fair. Unfortunately the documentation provided
> along with the encoder and the support is poor.
> Even if the encoder is not related to ffmpeg I posted to this mailing list:
> 1) to find out some "rule of thumbs" related to basic well-known
> encoding parameters (profile, level, bitrate etc.) that I should
> follow in order to improve frame drop rate at the expense of, for
> example, latency
> 2) to find out if there are freely available classical test suites
> that are used to perform encoding tests.
>
> Since these are substantially encoder-independent issues, I thought
> there are good chances to find here these things.

Well, you can try a lower resolution, lower frame rate, and fewer
things enabled, i do not know what tuneable parameters this encoder
has. Fewer reference frames, maybe intra only, ...
also it of course depends on what you want  to achive, as making the
encoder run faster and not drop frames implicates you want it to do
less and this will likely cause one of: lower quality,
higher bitrate or lower resolution. Or of course more money for a
better encoder, I dont know which of these would make sense to you but
it should be fairly obvious from what loss is acceptable to you to
then tune that part down to see if that helps.

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable