[FFmpeg-devel] Format of decoded text subtitles

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 2 12:03:13 CEST 2012

Le sextidi 16 thermidor, an CCXX, Clément Bœsch a écrit :
> JACOsub for instance support palettes: how would you store them, and use
> them? Also, what happens if another format defines another way of
> exposing a palette?

It depends on how JACOsub uses the palettes afterwards.

> > 	if (rect->ass && !rect->rich_text) {
> > 	    av_log(avc, AV_LOG_WARNING, "Please update the decoder\n");
> > 	    ff_convert_legacy_ass(rect);
> > 	}
> Just to be sure, what real issue are you trying to solve here?

Just here: transition and compatibility: converting the existing decoders to
this new API would take time, even if it makes them simpler in the end. In
the meantime, they will still fill the rect->ass field even if we consider
it deprecated. So we can use it.

That is similar to interleaving samples until mplayer can handle planar
formats: we want to get rid of it, but we do not want to break things during
the transition.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George