[FFmpeg-devel] compiling with non-free

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Aug 2 20:50:08 CEST 2012

Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It appears from my (admittedly little) researching and legal
> knowledge, that it should be "legal license-wise" to compile a local
> version of ffmpeg that includes both gpl and "non free" type
> libraries:

Are you posting this because you want the opinion of software
developers on a legal question or are you having a use case
(like compiling with x264 and faac) that does not work?
In the later case, please provide the configure line and the output
(if configure fails), or run make, run make again, run make V=1 and
provide the last output if make fails.
(Please never provide the complete, uncut console output of the
first make call.)

Carl Eugen

PS: Note that for most questions, the LGPL and the GPL only
cover distribution of binaries, afair both do not cover
(not regulate) compilation (IANAL).