[FFmpeg-devel] Definition of audio and video frames according to av_read_frame()

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 08:52:22 CEST 2012

Dear all

FFmpeg documentation says "For video, the packet contains exactly one frame. For audio, it contains an integer number of frames if each frame has a known fixed size (e.g. PCM or ADPCM data). If the audio frames have a variable size (e.g. MPEG audio), then it contains one frame."

1. Regarding video, does av_read_frame() return anything other than I-frame,
P-frame or B-frame?

2. Regarding audio, what is the definition of audio frame? If I say, an audio frame contain one audio sample, is it correct?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Unga