[FFmpeg-devel] Releases 1.1 2.0 1.0.1 ?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:26:31 CET 2012

On date Monday 2012-12-03 16:14:19 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> Hi all
>
> The planed 1.0.1 release (or 1.1 depending on the numbering used)
> hasnt happened yet, ill work on this ASAP
> if you want something back ported, backport it NOW!
>
> Also i was thinking of releasing a 1.1 from current git master,
> before some messy redesign of the buffer api gets merged and also
> as there are hundreads of bugfixes in master that noone has been
> backporting to release/1.0
>

> I think calling such a release from master, 2.0, feels wrong ATM but
> iam happy to give it any number people want.

The questions are:

- do we want to use major to indicate *binary backward compatibility*,
  as it was proposed some time ago?

- did we break backward compatibility with the 1.0 release?

The answer to the second question seems to be yes, since we bumped
libavutil after the 1.0 release, even if possibly not many users will
notice it. Releasing 2.0 just after 1.0 seems not very glamour, but at
least conveys this information (which is very valuable to the user).

> also if there are serious regressions relative to 1.0, please tell me
> ASAP about them

Thanks for working (also) on this.
--
FFmpeg = Fundamental & Furious Majestic Power Ecstatic Governor