[FFmpeg-devel] GPU Hardware Acceleration [was Re: openCL support]

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:12:42 CET 2012

On 3/13/12, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it would help if I rephrased the question.
>
> "Are there any parts of FFMPEG that would benefit from Hardware
> Acceleration that do not already have development in process?"
>
> Either CUDA or OpenCL.
>
> Put aside the issue of development time / maintenance effort for now.  I'm
> just trying to get an idea of what can be done to leverage the GPU to make
> FFMPEG an even more powerful tool.
>
> if people can throw a few ideas into the mix then we can later discuss
> what would be required to make them viable in terms of time and ongoing
> maintenance effort.

I wish I had time to implement bindings to
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-codec-libraries (nvcuvenc).  There
 "may" be libraries for nvcuvenc for linux, I haven't looked into it
too much, but
 every so often people that do live streaming using ffmpeg "wish" they
 could use their graphics card for encoding, to save on cpu, so it might
 be interesting.