[FFmpeg-devel] for ffmpeg org

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Wed Feb 8 19:44:11 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM, C Chatterjee <cchatterj at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It will be easier if we take up a community wide project to do a good job
> of this. I can provide all my changes to start. This will distribute the
> work load. The benefits are:
> 1. Work on VC++ IDE - superior debug environment than GDB. I do not wish
> to argue with anyone on this point.

Most of the FFmpeg devs develop on Linux, so there probably won't be a lot
of motivation to port the code just to use Visual Studio.

> 2. Run faster on intel machines with intel compiler. My guess is 10% speed
> up on intel cpus.

FFmpeg can already be compiled with the Intel C compiler.

What you're asking is to port the entire FFmpeg project to another language
(or at least another standard of the same language).  That's quite an
undertaking that would have many side effects.  If FFmpeg was ported to
C89, then C99 features could not be used (which would be a huge negative).
 If FFmpeg was ported to C++... well that'd be like starting from scratch,
when the current solution works just fine.

While I don't speak for the FFmpeg project, I personally think much better
justification for porting the entire project is necessary.  Using Visual
Studio just isn't a big enough plus to justify all the work and changes
that would be necessary.  You are more than welcome to attempt this if you
wish, but I seriously think you'll have a hard time convincing the
community to join in your efforts without a large list of crucial benefits.

Michael Bradshaw