[FFmpeg-devel] matroska file hits eof on any seek

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 21:31:37 CET 2012

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 04:45:30AM -0500, Don Moir wrote:
>>> The only recovery is to shut the file down and reopen it.

>> I forgot to say: almost certainly not.
>> Seeking with AVSEEK_FLAG_ANY should work just fine.
>> It might make sense to use that automatically for H.264 with
>> sei_recovery_frame_cnt >= 0 (there seems no easy way to
>> get this info out of FFmpeg. Well, except by inducing it
>> from key_frame == 1 and frame_type != I I guess).

> It should be quite easy to export sei_recovery_frame_cnt or something
> like that by using codec specific options.
> that is, patch welcome. (i could do it too but you have a usecase and
> testcase for it ...)

AVSEEK_FLAG_ANY does work so thats something. The only current detection I
believe is do the seek without this flag and then check for eof on read
packet. But that's bad since the first packet read is going to take awhile.

I think matroska only deals with keyframes for seeking (don't really know),
but I tried a few matroska files with AVSEEK_FLAG_ANY set for each and that
did not seem to cause any problem. Do you think it's ok to do that for now
for matroska files ?