[FFmpeg-devel] invalid timestamps in FLV -> invalid argument

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Sat Feb 18 01:48:07 CET 2012

Greetings. Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but a recent (Feb. 15)
build of ffmpeg is giving me grief about timestamps in a .flv file I'm trying
to read via the CLI.

An example command is:
ffmpeg.exe -i "2011 hearing.flv" -ss 1178 -t 550 -c:v copy -c:a copy out.flv

As it reads the file, I get a gajillion messages like this:

DTS 1169265, next:1178010980 st:1 invalid droping

(that's the very last one)...and then I get:

[flv @ 0000000001C78C80] pts < dts in stream 1
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument

The output file is 0 bytes.

The input file plays fine in VLC, but I can't do anything with it in ffmpeg
because of this error. It seems to be related to a ffmpeg.c patch from Feb. 7.
I am wondering if the timestamps are actually being parsed correctly, and/or
if there's a way to get around this.

Console output here (edited to remove the middle of the long list of frames):
http://pastebin.com/kVdcPpes

Let me know if more info is needed. The file is 421 MB, so I can't easily post
it in full somewhere. If you want to capture it yourself, I can send you the
URL (it's public domain content, don't worry), but it streams in real time for
about 3 hours, so it'll be a nice long wait.

Thanks!

(Also, maybe do a code sweep for "droped" and "droping" ... correct spelling
is "dropped" and "dropping". Instead of "invalid droping", I would write
"invalid; dropping")