[FFmpeg-devel] Merge "contest"

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Feb 27 05:47:32 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 05:24:15AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Iam replying here instead of todays snow docs flame as its quite a
> different topic and not so much flame id say
>
> Reimar said there that:
> > If you have a specific funding proposal it would be easier for me to
> > say more about this.
> > But it is clear that mostly the foundation has been sponsoring big
> > projects, so I have no idea what other directors think about sponsoring
> > this kind of small but possibly long-term stuff.
>

> Now this is not so much a proposal than a little bit about the "small"
> above.
>
> The daily merges are sometimes dead easy and sometimes they are not.
> The hard cases can be summarized by simply being buggy to begin with
> one way or another. A result that IMHO comes due to patches not being
> reviewed by people who know the code
> But thats just idle talk, lets come to the point, as reimar mentioned
> the work being small i skiped the hard part of todays merge. I leave
> this to reimar or other interrested parties to merge. Ive added
> some terse quick comments to 2 of the commits in ()
> also i dont plan to merge these tomorrow or later, its really
> you (plural) or they will be missing.
>
> And about the future, I really think the community should reunite
> and should work on a single open mailing list. 2 Trees or 1 or 100
> is of no relevance, friendly merges are very effective (linux is the
> best proof) the technical issue with the current situation are that
> we are really doing enemy merges with developers not pulling on the
> same string in the same direction. The social part of the hostilities
> i guess i dont need to mention, everyone from both sides surely could
> quote examples in large amounts. But i guess iam drifting Off topic
> here so ill stop.

i forgot to mention, dont forget running fate between the cherry picks
it has to pass (at the end of all changes and picks at least)
and while i wont do this merge, i am of course available if anyone
has questions

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides