[FFmpeg-devel] AVDictionary for binary tags

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jan 20 21:19:27 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 09:52:27PM +0200, Dmitry Kostjuchenko wrote:
> I was thinking about base64 encoding but favored direct approach (in
> my case) as it does not require client side to have base64
> implementation and is much faster.

If it uses FFmpeg it already has a base64 implementation.

> Speed especially important when
> processing many audio files, like hundreds up to thousands. Then
> with such amount of files encoding/decoding to base64 just to pass
> binary data would bring unnecessary overhead. Base64 and similar
> encoding method is good but for few files.

I find it hard to believe that it would be significant.
Looking e.g. here:
http://libb64.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libb64/libb64/BENCHMARKS?revision=1.2&view=markup
On somewhat outdated hardware you'd reach over 31 MB/s,
which is around the disk speed for linear access.
I really don't see this slowing down your use-case
noticeably unless those files are on a speedy SSD.
Though I think our implementation is a good bit from
optimal.