[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] VOB files concatenation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Jan 22 01:15:43 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:23:19AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently dealing with VOB concatenation issues, since it's new a
> field for me (and it may unveil some bugs in FFmpeg) I'm posting it
> here.
>
> After some experimentation:
> $ cat FILE1.VOB FILE2.VOB ... FILEN.VOB > ALL.VOB
>
> results in a file which is playable by ffplay, with apparently perfect
> A/V sync.
>
> If I try to remux such a file I usually got serious A/V desync, like
> in:
> $ ffmpeg -i ALL.VOB -codec:v copy -codec:a copy -f mpeg ALL.REMUX.PS
>
> Very old ffmpeg-user discussion (2005):
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/1063/
>
> where it is stated that physical concatenation with VOB files doesn't
> work well with ffmpeg, and alternative tools are suggested (mplayer,
> projectx, transcode).
>
> If I'm not wrong a VOB file is nothing else that an MPEG-PS file with
> a funny name, and is one of the few formats which supports physical
> concatenation, at least according to our FAQ:
> http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#toc-How-can-I-join-video-files_003f
>
> but the physical concatenation+remux trick which I showed above
> doesn't seem to work well.
>
> Do you have any advice? Is the mentioned trick supposed to work or
> there are some special considerations which make the MPEG-PS format
> unsuitable for such treatment?

id try it with some older releases to make sure its not a regerssion
if it is bisect would be interresting

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf