[FFmpeg-devel] [SPAM] Re: Floating point dts, pts

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:06:58 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM, C Chatterjee <cchatterj at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Agree that AVRational will be better and more accurate than int64_t or double.
> I proposed floating point for simplicity - may be not.
>
> So how about int64_t rational?
>
> Chanchal

pts/dts are already more accurate then you give them credit for.
They are "rationals", based on the related AVStreams time_base, which
usually depends on the format in question.

The demuxer sets those so that every timestamp in the file can be
accurately represented, any more precision is useless.
If the demuxer does something wrong there, its a bug. If any format
would actually store timestamps in float, that might be another thing
- but i'm not aware of any that does.

- Hendrik