[FFmpeg-devel] drop entire frame when RTP packets are lost

Martin Carroll martin.carroll at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jul 2 15:36:07 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

 > I am interested in investigating what goes wrong in the decoder and
 > error concealment code that makes it look better with less data.

I conjecture that at least part of the visual improvement that results from
dropping entire frames (when RTP packets are lost) is the fact that by
dropping
entire frames, ffplay has a better chance of catching up with the RTP
stream.
There may be other factors at work as well.

 > so i would need something that i can feed into the decoder to
reproduce this difference

I presume that you have your favorite way of generating an RTP stream.  If
so, then I suggest that you just send it your favorite video and watch what
happens with and without my patch.   (My favorite video is glxgears.)

And regarding my patch: Given that I am new to this list, I did not want to
be presumptuous and send my patches up.  Shall I do that now?

Martin Carroll