[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Application to SPI as associated project

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Jun 16 01:26:30 CEST 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:37:21 +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>On date Thursday 2012-06-07 11:07:05 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
>> On date Wednesday 2012-05-09 00:10:13 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > we are considering to apply to SPI - Software in the Public Interest -
>> > as associated project, see:
>> > http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/associated-project-howto/
>> >
>The FFmpeg association with SPI was discussed and voted during the SPI
>meeting, and approved. Check in attachment the log of the relevant
>part of the meeting.
>
>* we may need to define in a more formal way the "decision process"
>  for the whole project

defining our voting process? mailing list used, etc ?

did they want a dictator to call the shots?
the developers will vote, and then the overlord will make the
final approval for donations (based on votes)? this would eliminate any
questions if a large group of developers came to vote that had a
disruptive agenda. whos votes are acceptible? developers? what is our
definition of developer? anyone who commits/patches/reviews within last
12 months? copyright holders? git commit account ?

who can bring up a vote? i think any devels should be able to. as seen
from my previous attempts to get ffmtech to do anything.

already this is getting to beaurocratic for me. i'd rather just let
michael approve/deny things (if he wants the job). please, no
requirement for a long written proposal that ffmtech has. informal
requests are fine imo. and no secret private mailing list. no secret
cabal of people. i dont like how ffmtech is structured at all.

thanks for your work on this stefano.

-compn