[FFmpeg-devel] clarification request. Which list *is* for bug reports then?

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Mon Jun 18 17:16:37 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. Me again.
> I had a question today, I was going to go and "report a possible bug"
> on a mailing list.
> Navigating to http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html
> I see that ffmpeg-devel is *not* for bug reports.
> But it didn't make it clear to me which mailing list *was* for bug
> reports.  Perhaps a sentence could be added to the ffmpeg-devel
> description that bug reports "go to their respective other mailing
> lists" or some clarification added there, to avoid confusion for
> people like me?

There is a link right next to "Contact" on the left that says "Bug
Reports". If you've been able to confirm the bug as best as you can
and you've followed the instructions on that page, you can just submit
it to the bug tracker (i.e. no mailing list).

If you have questions if such-and-such behavior is normal (or if
you're doing things right), you should contact the respective mailing
list for confirmation of said things. You wouldn't be reporting a bug
on these mailing lists; you would be checking if your methods were
correct (and then if they were, you could submit the bug report to the
bug tracker).

Bug reports don't go in a mailing list; they go to Trac. I don't know
if it would help or not to add a sentence along the lines of "If you
need to report a bug, see the Bug Reports link above" though.

--Michael