[FFmpeg-devel] drop entire frame when RTP packets are lost

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jun 29 22:41:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 03:29:25PM -0400, Martin Carroll wrote:

> > 1. In my testing, dropping the frame produces noticeably better
> > visual results (than sending an incomplete encoded frame to the
> > decoder).
> >
> > > i would be interrested in a testcase, can you dump both variants to
> > > a file ?
>
> What precisely is it that you want me to dump to a file?  The patch?
> A recording of the video degredation that occurs in the two cases?
> Something else?

you said that "dropping the frame produces noticeably better
visual results"

Iam interrested in investigating what goes wrong in the decoder and
error concealment code that makes it look better with less data.

so i would need something that i can feed into the decoder to
reproduce this difference

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato