[FFmpeg-devel] animated GIFs

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 06:21:14 CET 2012

> On 3/6/12, Don Moir <donmoir at comcast.net> wrote:
>> There doesn't seem to be any support for decoding animated GIFs and only
>> the
>> first image is present, or is there something else I should know about it
>> ?
>>
>> animated png would also be useful if not yet supported.
>
> Which one apng or mng?

I think these are both up in the air at this point on what will become
standard and while they are being argued most are stuck with gif animation.

Firefox and Opera support apng. More than likely because of it's simple
nature and small code base. I don't know of any browser supporting mng.

You can look here for apng application support:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG