[FFmpeg-devel] GPU Hardware Acceleration [was Re: openCL support]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Mar 15 22:45:24 CET 2012

>> comes

>> > maybe spp as its too slow in its highest quality setting
>> >

>> But you're not sure ;-)  Do other devs want to add their 2c?
>
> If you really care about this: Get something started (preferably even
> something simpler that spp), get the infrastructure in and then look
> for something useful.
> People trying to do "something useful" usually end up frustrated and
> give up before anything came out of it at all, so if you just manage to
> do something completely useless that would be great progress compared
> to that.

Thank Reimar,

I know I'm new to the list but I have been around in Linux Audio Dev for
about 14 years.

I'm trying to piece together a plan of attack for a larger project that I
am working on. FFMPEG is a core component so I am trying to get a real
idea of what I am up against.

At the moment It looks like it would take around 2 years of sustained
effort to get FFMPEG to the point where it is fully leveraging GPU
Hardware Acceleration. So I would rather focus on the priorities first
than play around with some simple code.

However if you have a suggestion for a simple place to start that would be
helpful too.

Is there anything simple that would have a good overall purpose and lead
in the right direction?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd