[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Fri Mar 23 22:34:56 CET 2012

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:58:14 +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> On date Tuesday 2012-03-06 23:53:32 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> [...]
> > Application submitted.
> >
> > Check timeline here:
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
> >
> > Applications evaluation will start on 12th of March and will last
> > until 16th of March, in which date the list of accepted organizations
> > will be published.
> [...]
>
> Hi all,
>
> FFmpeg application for this Google Summer of Code has been rejected.
>
> On the bright side we got a lot of interesting discussions and cool
> tasks listed on our ideas page:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2012
>
> That also means that mentors themselves will have more time to hack,
> or even better to enjoy summertime (or wintertime depending on their
> latitude) away from computers! :-).
>
> I want to thank all prospective mentors and contributors for their
> time and interest.

I want to thank Stefano for taking the time to work on the application
and everyone else who contributed. I'll regurgitate the reasons why
were weren't chosen this year according to carols on #gsoc. Listed in
no particular order:

1. The ideas page could have used some work.
2. They thought we didn't have a strong plan for backup mentors.
3. GSoC was attempting to, "make space for new orgs this year".

The #gsoc chat log:
http://blackhole.ubitux.fr/gsoc.log

The ideas page:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2012

The ideas page could have been more organized (I think Google people
are probably overlyfond of bulleted lists) with a better intro. We
should also start working on the idea page earlier that we did this
year to give us more time to work it out. I planned on helping out with
wiki page, but the timing was bad for me. Excuses.