[FFmpeg-devel] high cpu usage and frame dropping

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed May 2 20:55:12 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:31:34PM -0400, Don Moir wrote:
> All players I tested fail badly when I push them. They try to drop frames, but they can stop displaying all together and never recover, audio is no longer serviced, and worse.
>
> A sad state of affairs for players that have been out for awhile.

I don't think you can have tested many. MPlayer will just desync, or you
can tell it to skip even decoding, though that has a good chance of
crashing.
Anyway I can't see why it is a sad state, in 90% of cases the video will
be unwatchable anyway, why putting a lot of effort into what just ends
up prolonging the users' pain.

> I have tried various flags etc to speed things up and that helps a little but not enough and they don't really work anyway. There could be something in the flags or callbacks that would help alot but I have not found them yet.

You're too vague. skiploopfilter always helps a lot for files using the
feature.
For high level H.264 skipping nonref frames will cut the processing time
by at least half.