[FFmpeg-devel] high cpu usage and frame dropping

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Wed May 2 22:45:48 CEST 2012

> Don Moir <donmoir <at> comcast.net> writes:
>
>> I think using skip_frame and skip_loop_filter can have some side
>> effects such as distortion
>
> If you have a real-world sample that shows visible distortions with
> skip_loop_filter, please share it.
> (skip nonref obviously cannot lead to distortion)

These helped in CPU usage but since these did not really solve the problem I
did not spend too much time with them. What I did notice is that if these
flags are changed on the fly it can lead to distortion. Don't remember
offhand if it was skip_frame or skip_loop_filter. This is most likely
something I just need to deal with myself and not necessarily related to
ffmpeg internals.

If I do get back to using them and notice a problem I can't deal with, then
I will upload a sample.