[FFmpeg-devel] yesterdays libavfilter merge

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu May 10 12:47:12 CEST 2012

Hi

yesterdays merge brought in some ABI issues

first is libav adding a "buffersink" libavfilter/buffersink.c
which seems based on a old version of our buffersink
vs. our libavfilter/sink_buffer.c

second is that libav introduced our
avfilter_get_audio_buffer_ref_from_arrays() with different API
ive added that temporary under a new name to be able to finish the
merge quickly

can someone (nicolas? stefano?) maybe look into a technical solution/
workaround to this? maybe a configure switch so that the user can
decide at compile time if he needs to be compatible to the debian ABI

maybe someone could speak with libav about these issues. It really
seems becoming a bit ridiculous that they copy our code and slightly
change API while keeping the function names just to break compatibility
daemon404 interrested in trying ?

also setting the sink pixfmt has changed in the merge, the new libav
way seems a complicated mess (needs more lines of code for
user apps and is structurally more complex as it needs an additional
filter). Any comments here ? should we just change it back or
come up with another system that somehow merges the ideas?
Maybe it could make sense to have a char* based pixfmt list, that is
in relation to the user setting it as command line option in some
case?

PS: i would have written that yesterday but my internet connection
died yesterday and just started working again now ...

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides