[FFmpeg-devel] yesterdays libavfilter merge

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu May 10 16:47:58 CEST 2012

Le duodi 22 floréal, an CCXX, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> yesterdays merge brought in some ABI issues
>
> first is libav adding a "buffersink" libavfilter/buffersink.c
> which seems based on a old version of our buffersink
> vs. our libavfilter/sink_buffer.c
>
> second is that libav introduced our
> avfilter_get_audio_buffer_ref_from_arrays() with different API
> ive added that temporary under a new name to be able to finish the
> merge quickly
>
> can someone (nicolas? stefano?) maybe look into a technical solution/
> workaround to this? maybe a configure switch so that the user can
> decide at compile time if he needs to be compatible to the debian ABI

IMHO, we can break ABI in one way or another without too much risk:
avfilter_get_audio_buffer_ref_from_arrays is mostly an internal function,
and a quick Google search does not seem to return anything using it besides
ffmpeg and now libav.

> also setting the sink pixfmt has changed in the merge, the new libav
> way seems a complicated mess (needs more lines of code for
> user apps and is structurally more complex as it needs an additional
> filter). Any comments here ? should we just change it back or
> come up with another system that somehow merges the ideas?
> Maybe it could make sense to have a char* based pixfmt list, that is
> in relation to the user setting it as command line option in some
> case?

I will try to look into it but my next few days will be otherwise busy.

As a side not, I wonder how many people at Debian know that they ship a
technically inferior¹ fork just because the maintainer has had personal
disagreements with the upstream project leader.

Is there someone here that has experience with Debian packaging?

1: I think that Carl Eugen is exaggerating when speaking about "thousands of
regressions", I believe both project are more or less at par bugwise, but
there is no doubt that libav is lagging far away when it comes to new
features.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George