[FFmpeg-devel] superfluous log messages

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Fri May 11 21:05:27 CEST 2012

>> I have some files where it's called over a thousand times over a minutes
>> time and still not a big deal. The default behavior hides this for the
>> most
>> part, but it still gets called with redundant messages and reduntant
>> processing. Also the default behavior is going nowhere in a GUI app so
>> good
>> to be able to at least turn the processing for this off by calling
>> av_set_log_callback.
>

> FWIW, you can just call av_log_set_level(AV_LOG_QUIET); to suppress the
> messages, which is what we do in Chrome.
>
> - dale

That stops it in av_log_default_callback after av_log does its thing and
after it calls av_vlog.

Still would like to see the NULL check in av_log so it doesn't have to
compute the level etc and doesn't have to make any more function calls.

As it stands the NULL check will short circuit in av_vlog so basically one
less function call and one less test for level.