[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Publish ffprobe.xsd to ffmpeg web site (trac ticket #1265)

James Slater ffmpeg at slaterspage.com
Tue May 15 17:50:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:

> On date Monday 2012-05-14 14:28:23 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:56:29PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > > On date Saturday 2012-05-12 16:48:33 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:

> > > Yes but I believe the internal logic is not contained in that
> > > repository (scripts for updating linked documentation resources
> > > generated on the server).
> >
> > is this url pretty enough ?
> > https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/doc/ffprobe.xsd
> > https://raw.github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/master/doc/ffprobe.xsd
>
> Well, the point raised by the ticket reporter is that that url is not
> that nice, also it depends on the source control system we're using,
> and it may well change in the future.
>
> That's why he proposes to have this instead:
> http://www.ffmpeg.org/schema/ffprobe.xsd

That "pretty" URL could be configured to do an HTTP 302 redirect to
a github URL, meaning that any changes to the version control system
would merely require the redirect updating.

A potential downside to the idea could be people mistakenly documenting
the redirected URL rather than the official one.