[FFmpeg-devel] Static Link library exception to LGPL

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Tue May 22 20:10:12 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Don Moir <donmoir <at> comcast.net> writes:
>
>> > Simply follow the license compliance checklist on
>> > http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html skipping point 2, instead offer object
>> > files of the application together with the FFmpeg source to allow
>> > relinking.
>>
>> Should point 2 be changed to mention if you static link, you need to
>> provide the lib files for relinking?
>
> I am not against this, but the idea was to make it as simple as
> possible and believe me, this turned out to make a lot of sense.
>
>> As it stands, using dlls reads as a requirement.
>
> It should read as "one possibility to be certain to comply".

Personally, I think the sentence "It is not the only way to comply
with the license, but we think it is the easiest" just before the
checklist gets that points across well enough. Maybe putting an
asterisk at the end of point 2 with a note about how to properly
statically link ffmpeg would help those who aren't aware of how to do
that, though.