[FFmpeg-devel] Patch: add AVOption for extra video descriptors in MPEGTS PMT

Scott Leno ffmpeg at scottleno.net
Fri May 25 15:53:26 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:02:06PM -0400, Jason Livingston wrote:
> > I'm trying to implement some of the required descriptors for ATSC or
> > SCTE spec transport streams.
> > E.g.: http://www.etherguidesystems.com/Help/SDOs/atsc/semantics/descriptors/Default.aspx
> >
> > Perhaps a more robust solution would be to implement each
> > ATSC/SCTE/DVB optional/required descriptor as a separate option in the
> > MPEGTS muxer, but there are quite a few of them and this will add a
> > lot of options. :)
>
> I think required descriptors should be generated automatically
> for example when the muxer would be set to a ATSC compliant mode it
> should generate all stuff that is needed to be ATSC compliant.
> Well or at least try to as far as its implemented ...
>
> specifying stuff via base64 encoded options is more for free form
> user data or stuff for which no existing means/API exists

Why not put the AVOption into AVFormatContext->streams[X]->metadata
like we do the language.
It would prevent the proliferation of specific members in MpegTSWrite.

This would also be bi-directional as said descriptors could be parsed
into the streams metadata.

Jason, which descriptors are you looking at?
I've got a couple personal "favourites" I'd like to add.

Scott