[FFmpeg-devel] Relicensing filters and general approach to crowd funding

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Nov 6 15:07:27 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 12:47:14PM +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:
> Hi
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:

> > > No, I haven't because I think the value of the particular filters is
> > > significant and I simply didn't dare to ask them to give them away
> > > since I am asking because I want to use the filters in a product and
> > > therefore I am willing to and think it is fair to pay for relicensing.
> > > In this case I just think more people (like you obviously) would pay a
> > > bit for this to happen and this could be a good opportunity for the
> > > project to gather money.
> > >
> > > Since nobody else reacted, I will probably write to the copyright
> > > holders myself and ask them, what fair conditions would be for a
> > > relicensing and then either pay or attempt to raise the requested
> > > money if a price is agreed upon. We will see.

> > > Good to know :-). I'll let you know if anything happens on this front.
> >
> > There is a company that offers 7k Euro to get yadif relicensed to LGPL
> > if someone wants to add more to this, thats is surely not unwelcome
> >
> my company will add another 1,5k if it gets relicensed. Are you interested
> in pursuing a crown funding approach using one of the big platforms to
> raise more money (would require a financial goal to be defined and, of
> course, they charge a percentage of the money) or do you just want to wait
> who else is going to throw in some money if asked on the list?

crowd funding sounds interresting, how exactly would this work ?

> > but whats mainly missing ATM is
> > a list of copyright holders of yadif who need to agree
> > someone contacting them
> > an agreement on how to split the money up
> >
> > Iam a bit busy to do this myself atm, also i dont want to be the one
> > who draws a line between whos agreement is needed and whos not. So
> > if you want to help here, this would be welcome
> >

> yes, I'll try to do that.
>
> I started going through the git history putting together a list of authors
> with their contributions with a suggestion what to do with that (a final
> decision regarding who to ask for agreement is something I cannot make but
> I will document my opinion but IANAL).
>

> Is ffmpeg's git history enough or were there also several authors for the
> original mplayer code? If so I will go through those commits as well.

I dont remember well enough, so mplayer git surely has to be checked
too

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.