[FFmpeg-devel] c99wrap.exe and c99conv.exe

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:59:22 CET 2012

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:

> Hi Ronald
>
> Theres some confusion on my side on where the official
> "C99-to-C89 Converter & Wrapper" for ffmpeg is maintained?

There is no such tool called "C99-to-C89 converter and wrapper for ffmpeg".

> I belive it was/is in your github repository:
> https://github.com/rbultje/c99-to-c89/

That is a "C99-to-C89 converter and wrapper", but it is not specific to
ffmpeg (or any other project). The tool was originally developed there, and
has since moved to github.com/libav.

> but that does not contain any binaries that users can use
> (see https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1938)
> also Derek buitenhuis claims in above link that you plan to delete it

Derek is correct, I've simply been lazy. I just deleted it to prevent any
confusion.

I know that the tool is also available at
> https://github.com/libav/c99-to-c89/
> but libav is not ffmpeg and its a gamble for us to depend on this as
> it may or may not work with ffmpeg in the future.
> Both ffmpeg could change and need changes to the tool as well as
> changes to the tool could cause breakage with ffmpeg.

You seem to be fine depending on, say, gcc or yasm, even though you don't
have total control over these. So I'm going to assume that your concerns
are mildly overstated and that you'll be fine.

> Do you still maintain the code in your repository ? If so can you
> add binaries that we can link to for our users ?

Derek already gave you the correct location for the binaries. No, I don't
maintain the code in my personal repository anymore.

> Or if you no longer maintain these tools, who does maintain them now?
> and are they maintained and tested with ffmpeg still in that case or
> do i need to find a new maintainer for them who makes sure they
> continue to work with ffmpeg in the future ?

Me, Derek and Martin maintain the tool. Anyone is welcome to contribute.
Given that it's free software, there's nothing I can do to stop you from
forking the tool and putting it under someone else's maintainership, as
long as you abide by the original license under which the sources were
released by its owners.

Ronald