[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Misc timestamp discontinuity issues

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:09:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am juggling with discontinuosu streams.

Many filters (e.g. the amerge filter) works only if the input streams
are continuous. Also sometimes you need to merge streams with
different durations, so in this case it is useful to specify an
options which tells the filter to continue issuing output when the
longer input is not yet ended.

amix has such an option (duration=longest), which is missing in
amerge. Also aresample and asyncts both support some way to compensate
or pad the input (in case of aresample, it should really be documented
better).

So my question is: would it make sense to implement a timepad filter
(with audio and video variants)? Should I rather extend the existing
filters (e.g. add a duration option to amerge)?

Comments are welcome.
--
FFmpeg = Forgiving and Frenzy Marvellous Programmable Eccentric Gnome