[FFmpeg-devel] asking for help on custom IO

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Mon Oct 15 18:53:36 CEST 2012

Hello,

I first wrote to ffmpeg-users, but I was told to ask for help at ffmpeg-devel.

The point is, I really love ffplay - but it lacks seek support at http-
protocol. I recently wrote a streaming server and implemented the server side
for seeking, so I'd like to implement the client side too.

But I don't know enuf of ffmpeg IO-layers.

I read about custom IO and tried out the samples, but I did not receive any
seek-request at the IO-callbacks.

I traced several clients and the point is, mplayer seems to support seeking in
both directions, where ffplay only supports seeking ahead (I think, it simply
throws away the streaming data, until the seek point has been reached). May be
mplayer supports seeking by huge buffers, don't know.

I found out, that dlna clients support seeking by issueing a new GET with
range-http-headers. This works for both directions, is fast and portable.

So I'd like to implement these calls for ffplay.

... but as I don't understand much of ffmpeg, I need a helping hand.

Any hint is welcome.

kind regards

Gero