[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3 standardization

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Oct 27 20:05:21 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 07:39:03PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:09:14PM -0400, Dave Rice wrote:

> > > yes and that's why I want it moved in a format less strange (lyx is not
> > > common) and documented in a way that is more readable: the current draft
> > > is not understandable by people not having experience with code and in
> > > that case it still looks strange.
> >
> > If not lyx do you propose another format? Texinfo?
> >
> > Also some of the recent commits related to ffv1 also pertain for the specification. Rather than drafting the ffv1 specification within the current github space at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1, would it make more sense to develop ffv1's specification within the libav/ffmpeg projects themselves (such as in http://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=tree;f=doc and http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tree;f=doc)?
>
> The official FFv1 spec is in lyx format at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1
> its also available as html, txt, pdf and can trivially be converted
> to pretty much any other format one might want.
> http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.html
> http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.txt
> http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.pdf
>
> If someone, luca? wants to improve it in some way, its very easy to
> clone the git repo on github and change it to their hearts desire.
> Then just send me a pull request and ill make sure the changes get
> reviewed and integrated. The official FFv1 spec is actively
> maintained by me.
>
> about the suggestion of moving it to a wiki, i belive a wiki is a
> poor choice for a specification as a specification must be correct and
> a wiki allows too broad and unchecked editing. We wouldnt want someone
> reword text in it that she might find hard to understand but that
> after the rewording then turns out to have totally different meaning
> and resulting in incompatible implementations.
>
> about submiting it to a standards body, i think thats a great idea but
> we first should finish 1.3, converting the spec for this to the needed
> format seems a minor technicallity to me but maybe iam missing
> something
>

> Either way, i see it with great concern that libav started writing a
> ffv1 spec in their doc directory and has already introduced changes
> to ffv1 without any kind of discussion on the nut mailing list.

oops 2 confusing typos, this was supposed to be:

"Either way, i see it with great concern that libav started writing a
 NUT spec in their doc directory and has already introduced changes
 to NUT without any kind of discussion on the nut mailing list."

> seeing that and then seeing libav developers contact you in private
> about moving the spec to a different place and format. Iam not sure
> what i should be thinking about that.

It is what and why we do it that matters, not just one of them.