[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3 standardization

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 21:04:02 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 08:19:45PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
[...]
> > If someone, luca? wants to improve it in some way, its very easy to
> > clone the git repo on github and change it to their hearts desire.
> > Then just send me a pull request and ill make sure the changes get
> > reviewed and integrated. The official FFv1 spec is actively
> > maintained by me.
>
> I'll keep reformatting what you write in the wiki so other can edit it
> to make the whole specification easy to understand.
>
> > about the suggestion of moving it to a wiki, i belive a wiki is a
> > poor choice for a specification as a specification must be correct and
> > a wiki allows too broad and unchecked editing. We wouldnt want someone
> > reword text in it that she might find hard to understand but that
> > after the rewording then turns out to have totally different meaning
> > and resulting in incompatible implementations.
>
> Wiki is easy for everybody to format and edit, once the result pleases
> all the interested parties I'd like to have the specification redacted
> in xmlrfc and send to the IETF.
>
> Once that is done there isn't any problem.
>
> > about submiting it to a standards body, i think thats a great idea but
> > we first should finish 1.3, converting the spec for this to the needed
> > format seems a minor technicallity to me but maybe iam missing
> > something
>
> My suggestion is to:
>
> - use the wiki to hopefully come up with a document easy to understand
>   and describing the actual format.

Sorry, but this sounds completely wrong. How are you going to control each
change? A review process is way more important in a specification than it
is in code for obvious reason... And given the politic of some project you
are working on, I would believe I don't need sensitize you about that.

What's wrong about cloning the specifications repo and have a review for
each change? Only developers will likely want to propose some changes,
there is no point in making it a random user playground.

Clément B.