[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3 standardization

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Oct 28 20:52:07 CET 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 05:25:18PM +0100, Peter B. wrote:
> Sorry for joining in so late, but I was AFK until now.
>

> On 10/27/2012 07:39 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > If someone, luca? wants to improve it in some way, its very easy to
> > clone the git repo on github and change it to their hearts desire.
> > Then just send me a pull request and ill make sure the changes get
> > reviewed and integrated. The official FFv1 spec is actively
> > maintained by me.
> I agree with Michael that a good idea is to (a) have a single entity
> which is considered to be "official" in order to avoid havoc and confusion.
> As Michael is the original author of FFv1, I also think that it is clear
> that this is him.
>
> > about the suggestion of moving it to a wiki, i belive a wiki is a
> > poor choice for a specification as a specification must be correct and
> > a wiki allows too broad and unchecked editing. We wouldnt want someone
> > reword text in it that she might find hard to understand but that
> > after the rewording then turns out to have totally different meaning
> > and resulting in incompatible implementations.
> If it's just about Lyx being the reason for wanting to choose a wiki,
> I'd personally rather opt for "let's to a plain TXT file".
> Then there's no GUI, no syntax no whatever to be concerned about,
> regarding accessibility for contributors.

Before switching anything, theres the question why? what are we trying
to fix here ?

Are there people who want to contribute but who are unable to install
or use Lyx ?
People who do not want to use Lyx by choice ?

Either of these groups can just send patches to the .txt that is
generated from the lyx for now.
If this turns out to be a non trivial amount of contributions, which
i honestly doubt, then we can think about switching the format to
something else. But until theres a non trivial amount of patches
against the .txt, i dont think its a good idea to switch to txt as
the master format. we would loose good looking .pdf and .html versions,
clickable links, tables, mathmatical equations and the content list
at the begin.

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.