[FFmpeg-devel] Merge problem?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Oct 30 00:57:00 CET 2012

Hi Thierry

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 03:58:30PM -0700, Thierry Foucu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In may, there was this patch submitted
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=64bde8056337bb656a11f3c9e2857c10b94e2871
>

> but this merge
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=7a72695c05f12f21a62dc99fa64d1726fc11b236
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=5864ce13d188260998bbf49a2a774fa9bd445c10

I see no change done by these 2 merges to the probing code.
Rather i dont think "64bde8056337bb656a11f3c9e2857c10b94e2871" was
ever part of ffmpeg, I think i remember intentionally skiping it in
the relevant merge.
It looked and looks quite "wrong", its unclear if the bug that it fixes
existed in ffmpeg or not. There never was a patch submited to
ffmpeg-devel and theres no hint to what file, bug or testcase it
fixed. So i had no way to check if we need this change and or to
implement it better

If one wants to get a patch into ffmpeg it must be submitted to
ffmpeg-devel and be reviewed. I try my best to integrate all non buggy
changes from libav too but theres no gurantee that changes sent to
libav will be integrated in ffmpeg nor is there one that changes
merged from libav will work in ffmpeg if they are integrated

Its essential changes are tested against ffmpeg, and submited to
ffmpeg-devel.

The probing functions for example return scores, detection happens
based on these scores. Once the scoring diverges between the forks
its not safe to just assume a hack for one fork will just work or even
be needed in the other.

> seems to have remove the code which was preventing probing MPEG-PS as MP3
>
> I'm trying to find out if we still need this code or not..

please do

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle