[FFmpeg-devel] Merge problem?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Oct 30 22:57:09 CET 2012

Hi ronald

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 08:49:59PM -0700, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Its essential changes are tested against ffmpeg, and submited to
> > ffmpeg-devel.
>
> The patch was tested against ffmpeg and (back then, at least) ffmpeg
> did exhibit the bug. The patch was submitted to ffmpeg via the daily
> merge of libav.

If we checkout ffmpeg prior to where the commit would have been
merged:
git checkout  5afdb3e6b1a06a897ec6d4fe5da1619ae8bef6be^
and try to apply it
git cherry-pick  64bde8056337bb656a11f3c9e2857c10b94e2871
    error: could not apply 64bde80... mp3/ac3 probe: search for PES headers to prevent probing MPEG-PS as MP3.
    hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
    hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
    hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'

It fails

Now if we assume that someone resolves this by hand, how can you have
tested the result of someone elses resolution ?

If this feels to hypothetical, fact is i resolved this by taking our
side of the conflict while i belive you tested something else.

Thus again please submit patches against ffmpeg to ffmpeg-devel and
not rebase onto libav and hope that another person who rebases it back
onto ffmpeg will end up with the same code that you tested.

Thanks

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes