[FFmpeg-devel] on the hard state of ffmpeg command line options

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 31 00:58:52 CET 2012

Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> That's the reason I initially proposed the
> (rather kludgey) -i "input -r 24" type input.

Are input files then forbidden to contain a space, a hyphen,
hyphen and "r" or is some complicated rule that defines
that a space followed by a hyphen, a space and a valid option
is not an input file? What about new (later) options? Will
they change the rule or will we reserve some option
namespace?
And what should I do with the file "input -r 24" I just
created?

Sorry, I am just trying to explain that there is no simple
solution for the problem you describe (if you believe it
exists), while there are some very good reasons not to
touch the interface if it is not absolutely necessary.

Carl Eugen