[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AVSubtitles rework

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Sep 3 20:01:04 CEST 2012

L'octidi 18 fructidor, an CCXX, Clément Bœsch a écrit :
> I'm not very fond of introducing a new structure for a few reasons:
>  - having a AVSubtitle2 will require to maintain both paths for longer,
>    and the problem is already hard to deal with even if starting from
>    scratch
>  - if we do that, it will require duplicating the current public API for a
>    while, which sounds kind of a pain

All that is true, but that is the burden of compatibility. If we do not
introduce a new structure, all programs that currently allocate AVSubtitle
themselves will break if dynamically linked with a more recent lavc.

>  - I don't think the current AVSubtitle API is really used apart from
>    MPlayer, but I may be wrong

A Google search for avcodec_decode_subtitle2 shows VLC, XBMC, and a few
small projects.

> BTW, any reason this option is not part of avcodec_decode_subtitle2()?

It seemed simpler at the time, but it can be discussed.

> Note: I noticed using -fix_sub_duration in the subviewer FATE test was
> skipping one event, but this doesn't look like a regression with my
> patches. I didn't look closer though.

It is entirely possible that -fix_sub_duration will not flush the last
event. I will have to check that point more carefully. It would only be a
problem in a stream where the last event is not a dummy termination packet,
though.

I did not yet looked at the patch, because the problem of the new structure
name must be cleared first.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George