[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Dave Rice daverice at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 19:44:31 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

This is the resource I used for some earlier testing (reported here: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2012-August/129145.html). For this test I downloaded bridge_far_cif.y4m bridge_close_cif.y4m foreman_cif.y4m bowing_cif.y4m akiyo_cif.y4m stefan_sif.y4m stefan_sif_mono.y4m foreman_qcif.y4m and foreman_qcif_mono.y4m. I then used this shell script to process them all with various versions of ffv1. For each resulting ffv1 encoding it produced the same framemd5 report as the original.

>> 2) The strange fact that newer versions of ffmpeg produce larger
>> FFv1 AVIs - even with FFv1.1
>
> did you report this previously? did we come up with some conclusion?
> if not which revission is small and which large ?
>

> [...]
>> @Michael:
>> What's your opinion? Are there any parts in the code/bitstream which
>> you think should be examined more closely by testing?
>
> the effects of gop size (especially gop=1)

I would advocate for the use of gop=1 as a default in this case. The effect on total data rate is minimal and adds a high degree of error resilience. If a user was looking to optimize for size rather than resilience they could still increase the gop size (though to slight effect).

> and slice count on the
> compression rate (especially with 2pass mode)

I have not testing 2 pass mode. Can you provide a working command?

Dave Rice