[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Sep 18 20:20:45 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 07:46:21PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> I've now rewritten my test-script from scratch to exclude some
> performance and bit-error-resilience tests, I've had included before.
>
> Dave Rice and I have decided to use all the testvideos from "Delf's
> Collection" at xiph.org [1]. This first series of tests now includes
> only YUV, but in several resolutions (from QCIF to beyond HD - up to 4k)
> and the following subsampling:
> 444, 422, 420
>
> The tests are run with nested loops, encoding FFv1.3 using the following
> parameters in all combinations to each other:
>
> //------------
> Contexts: 0 1
> Coders: 0 1
> Slices: 4 6 9 12 16 24 30
> Slice CRCs: 0 1

> GOP sizes: 1 10 25 50

i would suggest to include 300 as gop size as 10second 30fps gops
are popular with lossy mpeg4/h264

> //------------
>
> Each input video has 224 corresponding output videos, for every one of
> which a framemd5 video checksum file is created.
> The videos are deleted right after the checksums were generated.
> Their filesize and parameters are logged to a CSV file. One for each
> input video.
>

> The next tests will be with RGB input material. Using a sequence from
> the Open Movie "Sintel" [2] and the SVT test sequence [3].
> Additionally, multipass encoding will be tested separately, but I'm not
> sure if it makes sense to do this for all videos, but rather with longer
> ones from different input sources to get a more real-life feeling for
> the results?

> Michael, what is your opinion about that?

I think its interresting to see if theres a relation between the
current 2pass performance and duration

thanks

The real ebay dictionary, page 2
"100% positive feedback" - "All either got their money back or didnt complain"
"Best seller ever, very honest" - "Seller refunded buyer after failed scam"