[FFmpeg-devel] ts mux satus ?

Kieran Kunhya kierank at ob-encoder.com
Tue Apr 16 23:58:00 CEST 2013

> Iam still quite curious what the problem with the API is and how a
> different API could help?
> That is when theres no volunteer to fix the incorrect interleaving
> in the mpeg-ts muxer.
> One surely can find a different way to submit packets, bytes, bits
> or other to the muxer but ultimately the muxer has to interleave it
> in line with the specification.
> If a change to the API makes fixing the muxer simpler iam all for it.
> but i disagere that theres a big issue in the API and a small issue
> in the muxer. Actually iam still curious how a change to the API
> can help at all? Could you elaborate on what issue the API has and
> what alternative API would be in which way better?

So lets say I send packets A, B, C using the lavf api. How does the
mux know when enough packets have arrived that it can start outputting
data because the mux has to decide where to put packets even if they
haven't arrived yet? You can start after B for example but it turns
out that C should arrive before B, ad nauseam. Therefore you need to
signal a "stop point" somehow.

In my mux the api mandates you provide all the frames in a given time
period at once to avoid this. You provide all the frames you want to
mux up to the video dts in one go. I'm not sure there's any other way
to do it.