[FFmpeg-devel] The OpenCL support in ffmpeg.

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Feb 26 02:33:10 CET 2013

On Tue, February 26, 2013 11:58 am, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 01:19:22AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>> codecs.....

>> that

>> > There are two parts to this problem.
>> >
>> > 1: When I asked about it last year I was told that libav was where the
>> > work was being done especially around the h264 libraries so I was just
>> > pointing that out here.
>>
>> you can check who is the main author of the h264 decoder used by
>
> Note, of course many others have contributed to the decoder very
> signifcinatly too. It seems the way i worded this above could sound
> offensive, it wasnt meant that way, i just realized when reading it
> now ...

No offense taken (by me at least) ;-)

I might have confused the past reference to libavcodec with libav too.

Anyway, my point for Wei Gao was that it would be very nice to have more
advanced openCL support for ffmpeg as that will benefit a very wide range
of needs and uses and that there has already been some work done on
integration which he may not be aware of.

Come to think of it it seems the deprecation warning in Debian is probably
being added by the package maintainer. I'm sure that s/he has their own
reason but it does seem a little unnecessary to me. Clearly FFMPEG is
alive and well but the Debian people seem to have made a choice to switch
to libav. Probably that topic should be a separate thread though and it
may just be old news that doesn't need to be rehashed.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd