[FFmpeg-devel] Jpeg2000 decoders comparison

Nicolas BERTRAND nicoinattendu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 22:34:06 CEST 2013

Hi,
I made some perf test to compare jpeg2000 native deocoder with libopenjpeg.
I compared the perfs according the number of threads allocated and the
number of resolutions levels (lowres)

The strange stuff is: in a many core machine( bi xeon, so 12coresx2) ,
the jpeg2000 decoder is blocled at some fps, and addition of cores no
help at all. In reverse with libopenjpeg more we add core, more the
decode is fast.
In a 4 coresx2 machines. the results are more as expected, and native
jpeg2000 decoder is faster in almost all cases.

In native jpeg2000 decoder, code looks somewhere blocked or still
waiting. But where or how? Right now, no idea why.

The results and comments are detailed here:
http://www.isf.cc/wiki/doku.php/dcinema:notes_techs:benchmarks:comp_perf

Cheers

Nico