[FFmpeg-devel] Status of yadif relicensing efforts and some general remarks on options of generating money for the project/developers

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Jul 4 23:22:30 CEST 2013

On Jul 4, 2013 9:34 PM, "Derek Buitenhuis" <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/4/2013 5:51 AM, Robert Krüger wrote:
> > Baptiste Coudurier Not convinced about LGPL. Would prefer a proprietary
license

> The guy who forked sleazily FFmpeg to a GPL-only project so we cannot
> backport any of his fixes doesn't like the GPL. I am shocked.

This is not at all a fair characterization of baptiste's actions. He has
contributed so much code to main ffmpeg before the fork and has served as a
maintainer and contributor long after, that he should not be bashed for
doing what is both legal and IMO legitimate, i.e. to create his own fork
where he determines priorities and does what he wants in whatever pragmatic
way he deems reasonable. Many of the things he did for a lot of grateful
broadcast professionals would have resulted in tiring discussions or
rejection in main ffmpeg at the time, I assume.

Btw, I also think his opinion on this is absolutely ok, I just doubt it is
a viable option for reasons stated above.

Peace,

Robert