[FFmpeg-devel] One pass volume normalization (ebur128)

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Sun Jul 14 20:45:47 CEST 2013

Kieran Kunhya in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel (Sun, 14 Jul 2013
18:05:28 +0100):
>> But am I remembering it correctly that you were the one that once on
>> #ffmpeg-devel uttered the wish to do normalization on the fly? Did you
>> change your mind?
>
>Yes, having read the spec in more detailed and spoken to people who
>helped create R128.
>I don't think it's a good idea to have realtime normalisation and call it R128.

Of course, we could make a duplicate of f_ebur128.c, remove every
reference to R128 and use that for the injection of volume stats into
the metadata. But it seems silly to duplicate a feature that is already
in FFMpeg.

For my kind of normalisation, two things are needed: volume injection in
the metadata and use of those metadata for volume adjustment. How do we
get rid of the R128 label without duplicating features?

Jan