[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Sending H.264 stream to multiple containers

Peng howtofly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 14:14:41 CEST 2013

> Until your message, I thought there was only two variants of H.264 packets,
> but it seems the situation is more complex than that: three, four variants?
>
> Could you sum-up this quickly? List all the variants, indicate in what
> circumstances they are possible / necessary, how the encoder selects the
> variant and what is the effect of the bitstream filters?
You are correct. There are only two bitstream formats: the NAL unit
stream format and the byte stream format
(ISO 14496-10 Annex B).

I apologize for confusing you by misusing the term 'MP4-compliant
stream'. The so called 'stream'
should be more precisely called 'AVC sample structure within MP4 file
format (ISO 14496-12)', which is
part of the AVC file format (ISO14496-15) definition. That's why ffmpeg
does the transformation in MOV muxer.

Regards,

--
Peng